Hire a Director
Finding a local freelance director in your area is easy with the Video Collective. Browse over 10,000 hand-picked freelancers based around the world. Receive fast free quotes from the best directors near you. 📣 🎥
In a rush? no worries why not post a job and let them come to you!
How to Hire Top Directors
What is a film director?
Firstly, directors are the artistic leads of the film. They hold the creative vision throughout the whole process, from pre-production through to the final edit.
Main responsibilities include:
- Interpret scripts
- Set the tone of the film
- Work with department heads
- Work with casting directors to find talent
- Direct actors and the camera
- Work with editors to assemble the film
- Work with sound and music departments
How much does it cost to hire one?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including experience, industry, and availability. Also, the following is worth considering.
- An experienced film director may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work
- A new director who is still in the process of building a client base may price their film directing services more competitively
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project. Also, make you check out our crew rates page for more information.
What do they do?
A film director is in charge of the three main phases of filmmaking — pre-production, production and post-production.
Film directors work on a movie from conception to delivery, working with individuals in charge of lighting, scenery, writing, and so forth, to make sure all elements come together. They generally don’t do post-production work but are in charge of overseeing it.
What qualifications do directors have?
There are no specific qualifications, entry examinations or professional memberships required to become a film director.
However, here are a few things you should look out for:
- Undergraduate degree from a University accredited film school
- Minimum five years of experience
- Area of specialism e.g commercial, film or television
- Ability to work well with actors and crew throughout the entire production
- Good showreel that engages you
- Examples of higher profile clients they have worked for
These all should be a good indication of their suitability and skillset.