Our Asset TD will be responsible for solving technical modelling issues, developing tools and workflows for new potential shows. They will also be advising and assisting the Head of Assets and the Asset Supervisors about technical matters during productions.
Due to the current government guidelines on the continuing pandemic, we welcome hybrid and remote working for all job opportunities we offer for the foreseeable future.
Day to Day:
- Communicating with our Rigging Department, CG Supervisor, Art Director and Directors and assisting the Asset Supervisors and the team of modelling artists on technical matters
- Giving constructive feedback to improve asset quality across the team
- Communicating with and responding to the other departments to manage any technical issues
- Notifying the Production Manager, Head of Asset and CG Supervisor of any issues that would affect the schedule.
- Assisting our Asset/CG Supervisor with asset technical problem solving
- Working closely with Asset Supervisors. Deciding best practice and maintaining a consistent asset workflow across different productions
- Giving technical guidance and support to Asset Supervisors throughout the course of production
- Working closely with asset supervisors/project team members to plan best practices and most efficient approach towards technical setups for assets, while being aware of brief and schedule.
- Assist the Head of Assets in company wide discussions; such as pipeline development and technical decisions
- Communicating with supervisors/HOD’s to ensure technical setups carry successfully across from assets and are useable in the pipeline
- Advising on schedule for specific technical asset requirements in a production
- With your coding knowledge, assist the assets team in creating scripts (in Maya) to optimise workflows
- Test and troubleshoot possible approaches to technical workflows in production
- Communicating with Zoolab on upcoming projects to advise on asset workflows
- Effectively realising a 2D concept through to 3D, as well as being able to work with minimal design
- Identify and predict potential technical issues to save time further down the line
- Extensive demonstrable animation or VFX production experience
- Ability to work with and create asset tools in Maya
- Extensive knowledge of Maya and Redshift
- Knowledge of clean topology and Substance Painter
- UV mapping knowledge with either Maya or UVLayout
- Technical and creative problem solving
- Ability to relay information clearly and precisely across the teams
- A curiosity and willingness to learn new tools, approaches and workflows
- A degree of coding experience (python/mel)
- Knowledge of Substance Designer
Blue Zoo is a leading animation studio in the UK, with a world-class reputation as the go-to place for creating bold, fun and characterful animation. Established in London in 2000, the studio has grown to become the largest dedicated CG animation studio in the UK, picking up a shelf full of BAFTAs along the way.
The studio is going through an exciting period of growth and we are building a studio that is full of amazingly talented, happy artists, making work they are proud of, which in turn makes a small contribution to a happier world.
We look for people who have expertise, enthusiasm and are motivated by change. You’ll work alongside a talented and diverse group of people who respect each other’s differences and seek to understand fresh perspectives.
What we’ve got for you (Benefits)
- Winner of Best Places to Work in TV 2019 and 2020!
- Free breakfast, fruit and hot drinks
- Inclusive self-funded short-films programme
- Many fun social events throughout year
- Bi-monthly reactive feedback programme
- Friday “beer o’clock” drinks (and soft drinks) inside work hours!
- Comprehensive benefits package, including retail and gym discounts
- On-site massages
- Profit participation (for staff who have been in our studio for 2+ years)
Blue Zoo is committed to creating and nurturing an inclusive studio that promotes and values diversity and invites everyone to ‘bring their whole selves’ to work. We believe that companies that truly embrace and value diversity, and create an environment where everyone from any background can do their best work, are better companies.
To be engaged our people have to feel included and valued. We work hard to build and nurture a culture where inclusiveness is embedded in the way we work, not just an initiative. We strive to engender a studio community that feels a deep sense of pride and commitment that transcends any role, department or level and works together to produce excellent and engaging work.