The Head of Rigging & CFX is responsible for the management, development and growth of the Rigging & CFX Department across the Animation division at Axis Studios. They are indirectly responsible for the technical leadership and delivery of every project within the Department to budget, scope, schedule and creative expectations.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right candidate to take a hands-on approach in helping develop the current team and contribute to the future growth of the studio. This role is suited to someone looking for a longer-term, growth position, with an opportunity to contribute to the studios continual development and success.
The Head of Rigging & CFX will be expected to engage in basic line management tasks and will manage the performance and wellbeing of artists, as well as input on recruitment decisions when necessary.
The ideal candidate will have an excellent understanding of animation pipelines including pre-production, production and post-production. Prior supervisory experience along with the ability to contribute hands-on is essential.
Candidates who are working remotely would be required to work core studio hours within UK time zone
- Helping Production to manage the information being sent to the client, making sure we are offering to the client clearly defined issues and potential solutions, whilst also outlining any ramifications if issues aren’t solved.
- Monitor the output of the department ensuring it is suitable for Animation and Shot Production.
- Provide verbal/written briefs to the riggers before the start of any task, outlining the possible challenges whilst considering the creative intentions required and the task deadline.
- Work alongside the Head of CG and the EP during the initial scoping of the project department budget, inputting on quality targets in respect to budget and any departmental scoping concerns.
- Working closely with the R&D Department to identify process/improvements/tools to increase department productivity.
- Work closely with the Art Director, CG Supervisor, and Departments Leads to take the most efficient creative decisions that guarantee the best output.
- Ability to document and present briefs and proposals to the rest of the team.
- Mentoring and coaching the members of the team on an individual and collective basis.
- Evaluate and improve existing Rigs and Rigging/CFX tools/pipeline.
- Work together with the Supervisor and other Rigging & CFX Leads to implement solutions adoptable by the whole department across multiple projects, assets, and platforms.
- Communicate with the Modelling team to ensure that models are suitable for Rigging and CFX.
- Awareness of the budget and schedule impact of technical and creative solutions to meet delivery deadlines under production constraints.
- Work alongside Crew Co-ordination team to find suitable Outsource providers, assessing there ability to hit Studio needs.
- Previous experience of managing a team is essential.
- Excellent written and verbal communication .
- Willing to be part of a team of different skill levels and contribute to the growth of others.
- Thorough understanding of weighting, skinning and being able to work interactively with modellers to resolve challenges.
- Excellent Python and GUI scripting and the ability to follow/set adopted coding standards.
- Solid understanding of Cloth, Hair, Fur, Feathers and Muscles simulation in Houdini and/or Maya.
- Thorough understanding of Human Anatomy and Body Mechanics.
- Understanding of best Toplogy practices for achieving Rigging and CFX needs.
- An eye for final motion/creative intent in relation to CFX output.
- A keen understanding of the requirements needed to create both Hyper-Real and Stylised creative content.
Axis is a multi award winning Animation and VFX studio. Spanning three UK studios, we share a fascination for the possibilities of art and technology, and a passion for discovering where imagination can take us next.
Axis is committed to equal opportunities.