All 4 is Channel 4’s video-on-demand proposition, home to original and exclusive shows, box sets of iconic series, as well as live and catch up TV from C4’s broadcast channels.
Available as an app on over 20 different platforms including mobiles, tablets, PCs, TVs and games consoles, as well as being syndicated to the likes of Sky and Virgin, All 4 reaches over 3 million weekly viewers and has more than half of all 16-34s in the UK as registered users.
The All 4 Product team is responsible for creating the best possible user experience on owned-and-operated platforms, one that is both seamless and engaging, and that encourages visitors to become viewers, to view more, and to return more often.
The All 4 team sits within the Commissioning Department.
This role is one of five All 4 product managers – each of whom is responsible for leading the product in one or several cross-platform areas (or themes) as well as for product managing a specific platform or platform group.
This role will initially be responsible for leading the ‘Continue’ theme across all platforms, as well as supporting on the ‘Find’ and ‘Commercialise’ themes.
The main objective of the ‘Continue’ theme is to persuade viewers to view more and return more often. Leadership of this theme involves taking the lead on functionality and features including next episode autoplay, the watch more (end of playback) experience, continue watching, my list, push notifications and continuity. Key success measures include views per viewing session, viewing visits per viewer, and brands viewed per viewer.
The main objective of the ‘Find’ theme is to make it easier for users to find programmes they want to watch on All 4, and it covers functionality and features including search and browse, recommendations and targeting, editorial promotions, and brand hubs.
The main objective of the ‘Commercialize’ theme is to optimise the commercial value derived from All 4 and it covers all commercial-related aspects of All 4 including display ads, ad loads/patterns, commercial collections lounges, iVODs (interactive VOD ads), DAI (dynamic ad insertion), and sponsorship opportunities.
As well as leading / supporting these cross-platform themes, this role will also be responsible for product managing the All4.com website – establishing a roadmap, managing the backlog, requirements and prioritisation, overseeing the user experience and design, and being the main point of contact for the platform development team and various stakeholders across the organisation.
Leadership of particular themes and platforms/platform groups will rotate between the product managers from time to time.
This role will report directly into the All 4 Head of Product.
• Work with the Head of Product and the product team to establish a vision and roadmap that creates and sustains a fantastic cross-platform user experience and meets all the key goals and objectives of All 4.
• Take the lead on all cross-platform product developments within the ‘Continue’ theme – from identifying opportunities (working closely with the other All 4 product managers, user testing manager and consumer insight analysts), and developing and testing concepts (working closely with the UX Design team) through to development and delivery (working closely with the All 4 product programme manager as well as individual development teams).
• Make full use of analytics, research, and customer insight to inform decision making and actively engage in regular user testing and MVTs
• Collaborate closely with the All 4 product programme manager to ensure all cross-platform development candidates are included in the Collaboration process, thereby ensuring sufficient and timely problem solving engagement by the right people from across all platforms.
• Prioritize and manage the All4.com product backlog and work closely with the Proxy Product Owner, BA and Scrum Master on roadmap and sprint planning.
• Ensure product quality during UAT.
• Ensure continual communication with key stakeholders across the business, to understand their requirements and incorporate them into the product planning process as appropriate
• Be responsible for sharing updates and developments with key stakeholders and other teams across Channel 4, including roadmap presentation and demos of new product functionality
Essential Experience & Skills
• Product management experience in VOD and/or other digital products
• Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the online video market, audience behaviours, platform developments, competitive landscape, commercial models and industry trends.
• Demonstrable expertise in the qualities and dynamics of successful consumer-facing online products
• Knowledge and experience of agile development and user experience design methodologies.
• Acute sense of user needs and ability to assess the plausibility of proposed user behaviour and scenarios.
• Understanding and ability to make use of all forms of customer research and analytics in the product development process.
• Ability to convert into ideas and actions using analytical thinking, interpretation and creative thinking
• Ability to determine the optimum product proposition and supporting features and content to fulfil a specified set of objectives.
• Autonomy to prioritise product roadmaps and release plans and ability to make good judgements about when it is appropriate to take decisions and when to ‘refer up’.
• Experience of working across organisational boundaries using a range of techniques and styles to bring about desired outcomes.
• Highly collaborative, able to work closely with product team colleagues and adjacent roles across the organisation
• Exceptional internal stakeholder management skills – to be effective this role will need to build strong and effective relationships across organisational boundaries, with key departmental relationships: IS, Audience Research & Insight, Online Channel Management, Online Commissioning, Advertising Sales, Marketing and VRM
• Excellent track record of working with external agencies
• Understanding of Channel 4’s place in the digital landscape and how, sustainably, to attract and engage the attention of our audiences.
• Passionate about Channel 4 and its role in a connected age.
• Demonstrable awareness and personal interest in the digital landscape, industry developments, and in particular the impact of VOD on viewers and broadcasters
• Ability to see the All 4 product and its goals in the wider context of Channel 4’s strategic business and public service context, and to reflect this in recommendations and decision making.