The Rigging Artist will be responsible for rigging assets, writing pipeline tools, and exploring new technologies under the guidance of the VFX Supervisor.
This position may also branch out as an overall technical supervisory position for outsource studios.
Sony Pictures Animation is an animation studio based in Culver City, California, creating both feature animation and animated series with artists from around the world. We pride ourselves on empowering filmmakers to lead the creative process and allowing the hand of the artist to be truly felt, with the goal of producing bold and innovative visual storytelling.
- Rigging all assets (ie Characters, Props, Environments)
- Creating 3D character rigs and animation interface controls for skeletal motion systems and body/facial deformations
- Scripting and tool writing on all aspects of the pipeline; utilizing Python to implement new tools, and update and support existing pipeline tools under the direction of the VFX Supervisor
- Interacts with production, supervisors, and team/peers in order to problem solve and share information related to show/assigned tasks and documenting workflows and processes
- Must be able to decipher as well as follow through on work in progress, dailies, briefings/notes, and feedback; Document workflows and processes
- Provide recommendations and suggestions for designs and animatics, making sure they align with the production’s schedule
- Perform tasks such as hitting schedule/show deadlines, participating in dailies, and attending team reviews of work in progress
- Create and troubleshoot simplified crowd rigs for use with Golaem crowd software
- Good understanding of a wide range of skills in Maya
- Implementation of new tools and techniques using Python scripting
- Knowledgeable in writing utility scripts
- Open to expanding software skills (ie Unreal Engine or equivalent software)
- Ability to work efficiently as part of a team or independently as needed
This role qualifies for benefits pursuant to the collective bargaining agreement. The actual salary offered will depend on a variety of factors.
To apply, please submit a resume and a link to your work. Please make sure to include any passwords needed to review your work in your resume or cover letter.
Sony Pictures Animation is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.