Story Artists work with a team of the Directors, Producers, and Head of Story to create a visual representation of the animation’s narrative. These artists translate the script into pictures by producing a series of panels of drawings that plan out the film’s story, action, humor, continuity and pacing.
Sony Pictures Animation is a pre-production animation studio based in Culver City, California, creating both feature animation and animated series with artists from around the world. We pride ourselves on empowering filmmakers to lead the creative process, and allowing the hand of the artist to be truly felt, with the goal of producing bold and innovative visual storytelling.
- Working from a script or descriptions, develop storyboards (thumbnail/rough storyboard panels) that depict the action, camera placement and acting of sequences.
- Draw everything from quick sketches to finished detailed storyboard panels.
- Pitch storyboards to the director, head of story, crew, and executives.
- Discover and create innovative ideas with performance, action, and humor.
- Draw storyboards for assigned sequences and revise, edit, and modify sketches as many times as needed.
- Ensure that the vision and style of the show is consistently adhered to through execution of action, staging, dialogue and camera.
- Address story and structure problems. We especially value artists that can improve entertainment value!
- Supervision of the story team, including conducting interviews, making hiring recommendations, and providing feedback to Artists throughout the production.
- Robust draftsmanship with a sense of design, appeal and composition.
- Ability to work on a range of projects (action, comedy and drama sequences) and in a variety of styles from comic to realistic and highly stylized.
- Great writing skills.
- Strong character acting sensibilities; able to convey personality, emotion, and movement.
- Strong staging, composition and cinematography skills.
- Capable of drawing characters and environments on model within show style.
- Ability to write clear and specific directions on storyboards to communicate with the team.
- Can manage time efficiently and work independently.
- Work creatively in a fast paced production environment.
- Must be open to direction and able to embrace change.
- Self motivated, good interpersonal skills, and an excellent teammate with a phenomenal outlook.
- Knowledge of software and hardware including Cintiq, Toon Boom Storyboard Pro and Photoshop.
This role qualifies for benefits pursuant to the collective bargaining agreement. The actual salary offered will depend on a variety of factors
To apply, please submit a resume and a link to your work. Please make sure to include any passwords needed to review your work in your resume or cover letter.
Sony Pictures Animation is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.