With over 200 million subscribers enjoying great content in over 190 countries, it’s an exciting time to work at Netflix.
By serving as a platform for original storytelling, we’re fueled by the broad appeal of being able to instantly enjoy unlimited movies and TV shows and seek to create joy for our members around the world. This guiding principle has informed our commitment to animation, a universal language, and the establishment of Netflix Animation Studios where creative visionaries can perform their best work.
This is the new wave of animation — and you can help shape it. Our goal is to tell stories that no one has seen but that everyone will remember.
Netflix is extending the Roald Dahl universe of stories for global family audiences with an exclusive new slate of original animated event series, based on the books from the acclaimed and award-winning author’s best-selling library, including Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda, The BFG, The Twits, and many other beloved titles.
Netflix Animation is seeking a Supervising Director to guide a talented team of artists while executing the creators vision on an exciting new CG series. Experience working with a CG Vendor Studio is ideal. We’re open to experienced CG Episode Directors and Supervising Directors with both CG pipeline and series experience.
Working side by side with show creators in all aspects of the show pipeline in a creative capacity, the Supervising Director will shepherd the series from pre-production through post production. We are seeking a leader with skills in storytelling, posing, editing, timing, and collaboration to bring the project to life.
What You’ll Do:
- Communicate clearly with all team members, set expectations and give mindful feedback; troubleshoot as necessary
- Take part in internal script and design reviews; ensure creative asks are manageable within set parameters and timeframes.
- Meet deadlines from concept to final deliverables
- Break down scripts and prepare for hand out to Directors and Storyboard team
- Collaborate with Art Director on rough designs to ensure the storyboard artists have appropriate materials to carry out their work effectively
- Assist with scratch records; participate in record sessions as needed
- Collaborate with Directors and Storyboard Teams, guiding them to stay on track for overall success of production; see the storyboards through to completion
- Oversee storyboards and give notes at milestone phases throughout the schedule
- Communicate with Netflix Executives and evaluate feedback openly
- Participate in all edit sessions providing input on timing, pacing and punch up; see animatic through to completion
- Work with editor to place temp music and sound effects; support the show creators vision by guiding implementation of creative notes
- Support in the handoff to the animation production studio; this could include launching episodes in Layout and Animation and answering creative related questions
- Review Layout and Animation footage, call retakes, do draw-overs and provide reference as needed for retake process
- Give feedback and notes until shots are approved
- Guide edited cut through to locked picture; attend all color edit sessions
- Participate in music & sound design spotting sessions, mixes if requested
- Collaborate with humility, inclusion, and open mindedness
What You’ll Need:
- 3+ years of experience directing in a CG episodic animated series
- 5+ years of story production experience on a CG series
- Storyboarding/Directing samples and/or credits demonstrating excellence and inspiration in clarity, comedy, acting, writing, and visual storytelling
- Knowledge of 2D and CG animation and a thorough understanding of a CG production pipeline from pre-production to post production
- Knowledge of Storyboard Pro, and Photoshop; Maya knowledge is a plus
- Comfortable working digitally on a Cintiq
- Must be able to time storyboards to dialogue tracks
- Comfort level and experience in leading teams, giving feedback and mentoring artists both in person and remotely.
- Outstanding people skills: ability to guide a unique group of creative staff
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Must be able to adapt to changes easily within a highly dynamic environment, including the management of the team within this environment
- Strong attention to detail is critical
- Previous supervisory and leadership experience, including demonstrated ability to manage and motivate a team both locally and at a vendor studio.