Filmmakers can earn a fair amount of money on a shoot. However, the equipment needed is often very expensive which can make it difficult for beginners to get started.
That’s where Fat Llama comes in. With Fat Llama, you can rent the filmmaking or photography equipment you need at very reasonable prices. This means you can start that project without having to wait until you can afford to buy the kit or if you only need it for short-term use.
Get $20 off your first rental with our Fat Llama discount code. Find almost anything – from bicycles to camera kit and beyond! 🙌
What is Fat Llama?
Fat Llama is an equipment-sharing platform that was founded in 2016, by Chaz Englander, Rosie Dallas, and Owen Turner Major.
The idea is pretty simple and very cool. Basically, the site allows users to rent their own equipment out to other people. In other words, say you have a high-quality DSLR camera that you aren’t using at the moment, you could rent that camera to a photographer and earn a decent amount of money.
What Can You Rent?
On Fat Llama, you can rent out pretty much anything. This includes the following:
- Film & Photography Equipment
- Musical Instruments
- DJ Equipment
- Electric Scooters
- And Vehicles
This means that whether you have equipment that you’re looking to rent out or you need some equipment for a project, Fat Llama is a good option for just about everybody. Best of all, rentals include insurance, which means that if any gear gets damaged then everyone is covered.
Who Can Use Fat Llama?
Fat Llama is great for all sorts of freelancers. From photographers and filmmakers to musicians and artists.
Just about anybody who needs expensive gear for a project but only needs it for a little while can use Fat Llama. Of course, people who have gear that they want to rent out can also use the platform to make extra money.
How To Sign Up on Fat Llama
Signing up for an account on Fat Llama is very easy. Just follow these simple steps and you’ll be good to go:
- Head over to the Fat Llama website and click Sign up from the top menu
- Enter a username, email address and choose a password.
- Verify your email address by clicking the link in the email they send you.
- That’s about it!
Now, if you want to start renting equipment, you will also need to enter your billing details. You can use a debit or credit card to rent on Fat Llama.
How It Works
Fat Llama is very easy to use. Let’s go over the process for both owners and renters so that you understand how it all works.
Fat Llama Works for Owners
To list an item of Fat Llama it’s pretty straightforward. Here are 10 quick steps to get started:
- Click on the Post an item button from the top menu
- Give your item a name – When choosing a name, try to choose something that will match what people might search for.
- Upload a picture – The better your snaps, the more rentals you’ll get. Llamas like being able to see what they’re booking, so the more pics, the merrier.
- Select a relevant category
- Describe your item – Describe the compatibility and condition of your item as accurately as possible.
- Add your pickup zip code
- Set a price for your item – What you charge is up to you, but lower prices often mean a higher overall rental income.
- Add the item value and quantity – Try to value it as honestly as possible
- Select the minimum rental days
- Click List new item and you’re ready to go!
The platform also allows people to request custom quotes from you. This might happen if they need the equipment for an odd number of days or if they only need it for a few hours. You can then respond to them with a price and if both of you agree then you’re ready to go!
Fat Llama Works for Renters
For renters, the process is just like you would expect it to be. Here are 7 quick steps to get started:
- Use the search bar to browse for whatever you want to rent.
- Select from location, category and dates.
- Find a listing and view photos, description and price.
- Find out where the equipment is located for pick-up and drop-off.
- Request to rent the equipment or message the owner for more information.
- Pay for the cost of the rental and arrange a time to pick up the equipment.
- That’s it. Pick up the equipment and start shooting!
As mentioned in the section above, you can also request a custom quote from the owner. When you’re done with the equipment you just return it to the owner at the same location you picked it up from. 👍
Fat Llama has many great features for both owners and renters. Let’s go over some of the best ones now so that you can decide if its right for you.
Ease of Use
Fat Llama is super easy to use. Whether you are an owner or a renter, the signup process is simple. It’s also very easy to create listings, browse for gear, or rent equipment. They even have an app!
Equipment is Nearby
When you decide to rent an item, you won’t have to travel far. Fat Llama is available in most major cities, so you can find the items you need close to home.
Wide Range of Items
There are many different items available on Fat Llama. Whether you’re a photographer, filmmaker, or musician, Fat Llama will have what you’re looking for.
Everything is Insured
All items listed on Fat Llama are insured. So, if anything gets damaged, both the owner and the renter are protected. The owner will be paid for the value of the gear.
Flexible Rental Terms
Fat Llama offers flexible terms. Whether you need to borrow equipment for a day, a week, or only a few hours, you can arrange the perfect rental on Fat Llama.
How Much Does Fat Llama Cost?
Fat Llama charges a fair fee for using the service. Luckily, the way the pricing is set up, it actually doesn’t seem like very much for the owner or the person renting the gear.
The way it works is that the site takes 25% from the owner and 25% from the person renting. That might seem a little confusing, but it’s pretty easy once you see an example.
So, let’s say you are renting out your camera for $100. This means that Fat Llama will charge the person borrowing the camera $125, and you will receive $75. So, the site took $25 from you and $25 from the borrower.
In other words, however much you want to earn from your rental, just be sure to tack on an extra 25% to cover the platform fees and you’ll be good to go.
Fat Llama Review: Worth it or Not?
In short, yes! Fat Llama is a great idea that works for both owners and renters. The website is quick, easy to use and protects both sides in case something goes wrong.
All things considered, we highly recommend Fat Llama for anybody that wants to rent gear for a fair price or rent out their gear and earn some extra cash. Why not check out their website today.